Hughes Electrical was founded in Lowestoft, Suffolk in 1921 by Frank Hughes who trained as an electrical engineer after having served in the cavalry throughout the Great War. Originally the company rewound industrial electrical motors for Lowestoft's once large fishing fleet but in 1928 Frank bought his first shop in which he built and sold radios and the family literally lived over it for many years.
Expansion has continued into the next millennium such that Hughes is now the country's 4th largest specialist electrical retailer and 2nd largest renter of home entertainment and kitchen appliances. Its Hughes Direct website was voted by the readers of the which? magazine in 2010 to be the 2nd best electrical website and its commercial division Hughes Trade is one of the country's fastest growing business to business suppliers. Hughes has also expanded its retail footprint into the Midlands and the North West with the acquisition of Apollo 2000 giving expertise in the sale of kitchen appliances from large out of town sites. The company has developed a 70,000 sq ft distribution facility in Thetford which supports all the shops, websites, trade centres and service centres and has retained its commitment to service with over 100 fully trained electrical engineers.